hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 08:38:07 UTC 2007

On 3/26/07, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 16:13 -0600, Bernard Johnson wrote:
> > Matthias Clasen wrote:

> > > FWIW, the comment was referring to the HP icon in the menus.
> > >

> > That was my assumption, but I could have read it any number of other
> > ways as well.
> >
> > Do you still feel the same way given the other examples that I posted?
> >

> David outlined a number of reasons why the hplip stack is really less
> than ideal from a desktop integration perspective. So yes, I still think
> that hplip and assorted gui tools are not the solution we want and do
> not really move us closer to the goal of making printing suck less.
>
> Matthias
>
> PS And no, I did not do an exhaustive search through all the menus
> before making the comment about the icon. If the VNC icon is just a
> company icon in disguise, the same comment applies there too.

wow wow wow,

I don't know about you guys, but I use the HPLIP stack. And I don't
know what is more user-friendly than having it all working "out of the
box". The only reason I haven't noticed the menu shortcuts were
missing is that it all works so well. Then again, maybe if they were
in there I would have noticed my ink was running low a lot earlier.

If the software meets Fedora's already strict legal requirements, then
it should be packaged like any other package. The reason given for not
including the shortcut is plain silly. Or at the very list, if that is
going to be a reason used, then all packages need to have generic
icons because the whole point of an icon to a program is recognition
and advertisement. HP wrote the stack, why can't their icon be used.

This is being overly nitpicky about things.

Peace.
--
Fedora Core 6 and proud