Opinions: Providing "buildsys-macros" in the installed system

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Thu Mar 29 15:31:24 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 09:04 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> - whether the build-sys macros are being merged into redhat-rpm-config
>>> doesn't matter much, because redhat-rpm-config already kills rpmbuild
>>> "--target"
>> Huh? Worked just fine for me a few days ago to build i686 kernel rpms on
>> an x86_64 host, using only the following:
>>
>> $ setarch i386 rpmbuild -bb --target i686 kernel-2.6.spec
> Now, build for a non-rh target or an incompatible arch and examine %
> _host, %_build, %_target and other %values (eg. CC, or $*FLAGS)

It seems a bit unreasonable to expect us to support building something
like solaris sparc rpms on linux i386... Or really, building any non-rh
or incompatible arch target. Even in the non-rh but still linux and a
compatible arch case, a build chroot makes a lot more sense to me.
Perhaps I don't fully understand what it is you're trying to accomplish.

>> Are you referring to the fact you have to make a call to setarch to
>> get
>> it to fully do the right thing?
> Well, the fact you have to apply setarch is a bug.

I think that's a valid concern.

> But ... this is not related to what I am referring to:
> The more exotic the target are, the more brokenness you'll encounter.
>
> E.g. try to implement custom /usr/lib/rpm/<target>/macros for an exotic
> target ... redhat-rpm-config causes this not to be used. rpm -e
> redhat-rpm-config magically makes this work ... (And this is only the
> tip of the iceberg :( ).

Like you said, "the more exotic..." I think you're trying to do some
things that the vast majority of users don't and shouldn't do. Sounds
like you have a work-around already too. Not to say that if it isn't
straight-forward enough we shouldn't fix up redhat-rpm-config to play
nice in this situation, but I don't think its something that is going to
be high-priority on most people's todo list.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com