Re: rpms/firmware-addon-dell/EL-4 .cvsignore, 1.2, 1.3 firmware-addon-dell.spec, 1.1, 1.2 sources, 1.2, 1.3

Michael E Brown wrote:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 12:44:41PM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:

I recall debating this a bit in the Packaging committee... I think you're right, see,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/GuidelinesTodo
"arch-specific script packages"

umm... note that this section is titled, "Things to be *considered* for
Packaging Guidelines". If it was a packaging guideline, it would be
filed under /PackagingGuidelines.

good point!  This one deserves more discussion.

Upon further reflection, I'm not sure the proposed guideline applies in this case anyway, ie, it's not a package containing scripts that use arch-specific tools/packages, or is it?

There have been a couple of recent threads about this, and the answer
has always been: add an "ExcludeArch:" line so that the compose scripts
skip that pkg for those named repos.

Right, that's just the (general) method to omit .noarch packages from certain archs.

And at that point, you break my upgrade path, as
last time I checked, yum would not upgrade a .noarch pkg to a (eg.)
.i386 package or vice-versa.

Yeah, that gets unfun fast.

-- Rex