F7T4 -- I tried the Nouveau driver from the LiveCD and hit major problems

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed May 2 17:39:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 10:59 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:

> According to the original post of this thread, it is not as stable as
> nv.  Does the nv driver render your virtual terminals busted or kill
> your gnome session as stated in the original post?  If so, then the nv
> driver is far more unstable than I had thought.

nv has known hang bugs.  And sometimes doesn't VT switch right.  And
sometimes gets confused about picking which output to use if you have
more than one connected.

There are no good X drivers.

> Not only should you add a note to the release notes, you should
> probably also add a Conflicts with compiz to try and put a minimal
> amount of n00b protection in the package.

No, sorry, wrong.  If compiz makes nouveau crash as shipped that's
merely a bug that needs fixing.  X should be smart enough to not crash
when that happens and if it's not it's almost certainly easyfix.

- ajax