Re: F7T4 - sendmail & sm-client hang at boot

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Pat Kane wrote:
Just installed F7T4 on my workstation, the sendmail and sm-client hangs
(60 sec timeout?) are back.
I think I worked around the problem on FC6 by hiding the
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S80sendmail
script, that works okay for me since I have no use for sendmail.
Is there a better fix?

That I've almost always seen, when sendmail does that, it's because there isn't a network interface up, and therefore it can't talk to a DNS server. (Or just the latter -- IIRC, it wants to get DNS replies and will pout for a while if it can't.) ISTR first encountering this while visiting an ISP back in '99. Somewhat worrying that the novice Linux user was the one to figure it out... ;-)

     Jima