F7 Zope package

Jonathan Steffan jon at fedoraunity.org
Sat May 5 08:25:45 UTC 2007

Thread,

I want to make it perfectly clear I was involved with trying to progress
Zope (and thus python 2.4) support in Fedora 7. For reasons outside of
my control, I requested the packages be removed after what I would call
lengthy discussion with people more knowledgeable then myself. In no way
did I not try or not offer potential solutions. I get the feeling from
reading this thread there is a sense I didn't do everything in my power
to get Zope supported. Please know I did try. The issue is not a
packaging issue, nor (IMHO) an issue with Zope itself. The issue is
including python 2.4 support under the Fedora name or not. There are
plenty of workarounds we could discuss but I find it more
meta-discussion then not. If a "workaround" is eventually needed for
current Zope users, each user will end up doing their own solution and I
have no idea where that is going to leave things. The point is that
there is no planned support for python 2.4 in Fedora 7 and thus I needed
to remove the packages from the build system. I invite Zope/Plone users
to express their desire to have support but I think I have already
fought the battle to the best of my abilities and feel any further
action on my part is futile.

Jonathan Steffan