Re: Why does nautilus create folders in my home directory by default?

Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Sun, 2007-05-06 at 20:43 +0200, Rubin wrote:
I don't know about anyone else but I find it hard to imagine that anyone
 actually likes this behaviour; after all, who is not annoyed like hell
about directories like "My eBooks", "My Pictures", "My Music", etc that
incessantly re-create themselves in your home directory on some other
operating system whose name I shall not mention? It is _my_ home
directory, not some scratchpad for badly designed software, excuse the
venom.

This is weird. Once you've removed the directory, when
xdg-user-dirs-update is run a second time (i.e. on next login) we should
notice that its not there and remap the setting for that directory type
to $home.

Can you try something like
grep VIDEOS ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
which should print:
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos"
(or something)

Then remove ~/Videos and run xdg-user-dirs-update. What happens to the
user-dirs.dir file? Does it not now have:
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/"

Yes. This works as expected. Remove folders and relogin and it does not create the folders. However rebooting and logging into the system I find the folders are created automatically again.

Rahul