Packaging quality, assistance.

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed May 9 13:25:12 UTC 2007

On 09.05.2007 14:45, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 14:34 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> But as you are not aware of it and not part of the ppc/ppc64 SIG ;-)
> There's a lot of stuff on the wiki I don't know about -- I wasn't aware
> of the PlayStation page either -- at least not until after Rawhide was
> running on it. I haven't yet formed an opinion on why that is -- either
> I'm just crap, or wikis aren't a very good method of communication for
> some tasks. Or both.

Well, it works quite well, *if* you are subscribed to the pages of
interest. But you don't get aware of new pages that way. That's why I
actually took the hard way and simply subscribed to the whole wiki and
route the mail to a specific folder on my IMAP server. I skim over that
folder now and then, so it's just like yet another mailing list for me.
And if I care about some pages more then about other I can simply use
procmail and route the mail differently.

>>  it seems to me we need to document the working areas of those SIGs
>> better and encourage packagers to ask those SIGs for help when they
>> need them (if the SIGs do such work).
>
> What mechanism would you suggest I use if I need help from one of those
> SIGs? Please tell me you don't want me to add something to a wiki page
> and wait for someone to notice? :)
>
> How about a tracker bug for each SIG?

Well, we never defined in more detail how Packaging SIGs should work.
Maybe we should create a small set of guidelines that all SIGs follow,
to get such questions answered once and for all and a common "look and
feel". I think we should do that, but don't care enough to do it myself
ATM. And we'll get the usual yelling "to much bureaucracy" or "that's
should be the decision of the SIG itself" of course...  ;-)

CU
thl