Status of rawhide

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed May 9 14:56:16 UTC 2007

Hello from the Red Hat summit!

We're working very hard to get a rawhide out to you guys, and we're very
close.  Bill Nottingham started work on some code to pull packages out of
Koji, do some multilib fun, and make a repo out of the packages.  The next
logical step would be hooking in parts of pungi to run buildinstall to make
the repo installable.  I've done some modifications to Bill's code to handle
noarch packages that have ExcludeArch and whatnot, as well as integrated our
whitelist/blacklist stuff for multilib.  The current code repo is
http://people.redhat.com/jkeating/git/mash.git  and I'll shortly be making it
into a Fedora Hosted project proper on git.fedoraproject.org and such.
Unfortunately the code requires that you have the koji package store as a
local file system (or nfs file system) so it won't be very usable outside the
Fedora infrastructure.

What's next?

We need group info in the repodata, that means making use of a comps file.
We need to compose _to_ the file store and make use of hardlinks for all the
packages.
We need to do a full arch test run, i386, x86_64, ppc, ppc64.
At some point we need to integrate pungi and run buildinstall across the
repos, but that requires some sort of runroot facility within Koji as
buildinstall needs to be ran on the arch/package set it is 'buildinstalling'.
And probably some more things we'll notice along the way.

We also need to move some bits around on our staging server and on our master
mirror to make use of the new layouts.

We are getting very close.  I'm going to be taking time when I can while at
the RH Summit to work on some of this, and I'll be encouraging folks to help
out where possible.

Stay tuned, very exciting times ahead!

--
Jesse Keating