Re: PowerTOP tool released; time to fix the wasted laptop power on fedora?

On 5/13/07, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik greysector net> wrote:
On Sunday, 13 May 2007 at 00:12, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some of you already know that I've been working on getting Linux (and
> Fedora) to be a lot better about power usage on laptops by avoiding
> spurious wakeups and context switches and such (look at the "wakeup" bug
> in fedora bugzilla ;).
>
> As part of my job at Intel I've now released a user friendly tool that
> allows everyone that uses it to see what the biggest problems on their
> own laptop are... The results internally to Intel have been really good;
> several people gained an hour of battery just by using the tool and
> getting rid of (or fixing) 'broken' applications.
>
> PowerTOP can be downloaded from http://www.linuxpowertop.org
>

> for completeness I've attached the full announcement text I used in
> other places below. I hope that enough people will use it and report /
> fix issues in software so that the whole Linux experience on laptops
> will be a lot better in a few months..

Hey, this is pretty cool.

Here's what it says on my amd64 desktop:

No detailed statistics available; please enable the CONFIG_TIMER_STATS kernel option

Suggestion: Enable the CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND kernel configuration option.
This option will automatically disable UHCI USB when not in use, and may
save approximately 1 Watt of power.

same here using a core 2 duo t7400 on fc6 x86_64