kernel package

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Mon May 14 08:16:17 UTC 2007

On 05/11/2007 02:13 PM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> You seem to build for a bunch of different architectures, but don't have
> separate config files for most of them.

Good point; Good idea!

> I'd suggest building for ev4|up, ev56+|up and ev56+|smp.

No ev4, we disable ev in glibc for example. So no need to build a kernel
for it.

We shouldn't forget ev6 and ev67, there should be a lot of them out
there. I don't know about ev7, ev7z and the ev68. I think one or the
other es45 (ev68) should be also out there...

Also a good question. For x86, we don't build extra SMP capable kernels
anymore, true? Maybe we should do this here as well!? SMP wasn't also
working stable on alpha. But if it does now, maybe we should enable it
by default...

> Are there SMP boxen without BWX?

Hm. Maybe someone with more knowledge about h/w can answer this; EV5
afaik doesn't have bwx. And there's the AS1200; SMP capable and with a
21164 processor, maybe ev5, maybe already ev56 (ev5 was only <= 366 MHz
and AS1200 has >= 400 Mhz.).

If all this is true :-) I'm sure there's someone who can answer this
better...

-of