The scroll bar in emacs 22

Late in the cycle I start to notice the details:

The scroll bar in emacs 22, with GTK, is a bit strange.  It acts as if
there is an empty page after the actual contents of a buffer.  Since
it is possible to place the last line of the buffer at the top of the
window, there is in some technical sense such a page in the DISPLAY of
the buffer.  But I find this non-intuitive.  It is more natural if the
scroll bar reflects the part of the buffer CONTENT that is shown.  It
was like that previously, in the non-GTK emacs 21.

Does anybody know if this is some kind of configuration error?  Or
something I should report upstreams?  Or maybe an intentional, eh,
quirk, of GTK emacs?