random thoughts on software installation

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Thu May 17 19:45:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 21:03 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> +10 no more of this "it's hard/not-windowsish so let's not do/expose it"
> madness. We don't need an "easy" broken-by-design model and we don't
> have to be ashamed of how our tools work (compared to the competition)

Not sure what you're saying here...clearly what Fedora has now is way
better than Windows since there is basically nothing equivalent there; I
was hoping to think about how we could do even better.

Also there's nothing about shame here...the fact that yum exists doesn't
mean that the rpm developers should be ashamed.  Likewise, taking the
"http://serversoftware.fedoraproject.org" example, that doesn't mean
anything is wrong with yum!  Clearly it would backend to yum.

I'm just trying to think about the kinds of things we can build on top
of those tools, especially when you consider targeting design for
particular audiences or particular classes of package.  And also when
you consider things like more tightly integrating Fedora-the-software
with Fedora-the-website.

Anyways I think my first example got too sidetracked by the specific
details of transactions or whatever...skvidal is doing some work on
search which should help in getting through Fedora's huge collection of
developer stuff.  Personally think the
"http://serversoftware.fedoraproject.org" idea is a lot more interesting
thing to talk about and was hoping to spur discussion on that =)