Re: SUID to cdrecord and cdrdao

Adam Tkac wrote:
Hi all,

I did some quick think about SUID bits to /usr/bin/cdrecord (wodim) and /usr/bin/cdrdao . I'm using k3b for burning and it always write warnings like cdrecord will be run with root privileges. What do you think about it? Could it cause some security issues or something bad?

I can't speak for cdrecord, but cdrdao gives up its root privileges after setting its burn thread priority.

Also a word of warning: there might be cdrdao regressions in F-7 because cdrdao has to link with an older unpatched version of the cdrtools library (that's shipped with cdrdao), since F-7 dropped cdrtools in favor of cdrkit. I have plans to work on porting cdrdao to cdrkit (or libburnia), but it might take a while... People willing to help should contact me directly.

denis