RFC: Fedora 8 and KDE 4

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue May 22 12:49:26 UTC 2007

Dennis Gilmore <dennis <at> ausil.us> writes:
> I think we should aim for KDE4 for F8 and get it in ASAP but have KDE3 usable
> and installable also.  there will be alot of apps that will not get ported in
> time. se we will need kdelibs and kdebase from kde 3 so we should have it as
> an option

That's part of the plan I linked to. :-) Upstream wants to guarantee kdelibs
parallel-installation without conflicts (and AFAIK they're there or almost
there), so a complete compat-kdelibs3 should be possible (though unfortunately
the -devel packages will have to conflict as usual for compat libraries), and
much of kdebase 3 is also possible to ship in a compat-kdebase3: things like
KControl modules, styles etc., but not the kdebase applications (konqueror,
kwrite etc.) which would both conflict and be redundant with the KDE 4
equivalents.

The idea is that the workspace (WM, desktop, taskbar) will come from KDE 4, but
KDE 3 apps will still be usable.

        Kevin Kofler