iwl3945 status in fedora7

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Thu May 24 13:49:29 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 18:43 +0530, Deependra Shekhawat wrote:

> I think it's not stable for F7. Maybe for F8. And one more thing I
> would like to ask. If I have mac80211 subsystem inside my kernel with
> iwl3945 and I also use ipw3945 with it's ieee80211 subsystem (which
> works for me) will it gives any harms ?

You can have both iwl3945 and ipw3945 installed so you can flip between
them.  What I currently do, since ipw3945 works more reliably currently
(haven't tested the 319x+ kernels that have the major update just yet)
is drop a file in /etc/modprobe.d named iwlwifi with the line 'blacklist
iwl3945' in it so that the kernel doesn't try to load that module.
After I have ipw3945 and friends built for the kernel in question, that
module will be loaded automatically.  When I'm feeling frisky and want
to see if iwl3945 is working better, I just stop the ipw3945d, rmmod
ipw3945, modprobe iwl3945 and see how things shape up.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>