Re: An idea for RPM -> License Agreement support

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 21:26:39 +0800,
  Hikaru Amano <kagesenshi 87 gmail com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if i missed it .. anyway .. here goes
>
> it would be useful to Third Parties if RPM have the ability to ask for
> License Agreement before installing their package. I'm not a lawyer
> but I believe this is useful in legal related stuff when distributing
> softwares. I have seen a few RPM that are stored .bin just for the
> sake of license agreement (Sun Java is the easiest example) and with
> RPM having (optional) license agreement before installation , this
> would reduce their worries bout licensing when packaging app for
> Linux.

Whether or not this actually constitutes an agreement is questionable.
It will potentially break scripting.

> and  ... Linux newbies can avoid the terminal more (I know this sounds
> silly, the moment somebody says open terminal and run "chmod +x
> file.bin", certain users freaks out , double clicking RPM is easier to
> explain ).

Double clicking on an rpm file actually does an install?! Ouch. That is a
bad idea.

> any comments?

If someone wants to have some potentially unenforceable EULA, they should
do it at the point they hand their customer the file, not when they install
it.