Plan for tomorrows (20070531) FESCO meeting

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed May 30 19:13:34 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 14:29:00 Gerry Reno wrote:
>    I do not know where things stand with regard to being able to perform
> an upgrade installation from FC6 to FC7 but for me this is very  very
> important.  I have a lot of FC6 servers where I have configured
> literally over a hundred packages.  The only way that I would be able to
> migrate these servers to FC7 is by a yum (or other tool) upgrade path.
> A complete reinstall is out of the question.  And if that is necessary
> my servers will be stuck on FC6 forever.  Also I have other servers that
> I want to migrate to new 64-bit architecture from 32-bit.  I have not
> found a documented, automated way in which I can do this so that all the
> 32-bit packages are replaced with their 64-bit counterparts.  These are
> some things that I would like to see discussed.

Is this really FESCO material though?  Isn't this just more general usage
questions?  (honestly these systems seem more suited for a platform with less
frequent releases, like RHEL or CentOS).

Upgrading with yum is mostly OK, there are a few gotchas regarding some
changes that have gone into the kernel.

Upgrading from i386 to x86_64 is going to be a MUCH more difficult task.

I'm jut not sure what you're looking for out of FESCO on this.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora