Fedora 8 Schedule

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu May 31 18:26:08 UTC 2007

On 5/31/07, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> This is not just "the latest KDE", this is a new major version which has been
> under development for years and which everyone is waiting for.

I'm not waiting for it.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I think in the
past pieces of the gnome stack have shipped in release candidate form
in fedora due to scheduling.   If after years of development, patched
release candidates within two weeks of the official kde release are
going to be problematic to release, I'm not sure the official release
a few days later would be that much better.  But hey, maybe all the
really good development work gets done right near the end of the
deadline for KDE, in which case you'd be right to be concerned and at
the same time fedora leadership's desire to implement hard deadline
would gain additional empirical support.

>And as for the regular release part, don't the schedules always slip anyway?

The cynic in me says... yes, but you can't plan for that. The firmer
the deadlines that more easily progress can be tracked and testing can
be structured and volunteer time can be planned.  Raise your hand if
you attempt to schedule your personal afk time like vacations and
other real-life crap with some idea of the Fedora schedule in mind to
avoid going afk just before a scheduled release.  Deadline slips cause
real problems in terms of resource planning. A hard, solid deadline is
really extremely important for people to plan for.

Bitch and moan about the specific deadline as much as you want, but
whatever the deadline ends up being we need to start seeing it firm up
if we can.

-jef"we will never ever be able to schedule in a way that works with
all project release scheduling. As long as individual projects
construct their own scheduling plans compromises will result"spaleta