KDE logout options with F8

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Fri Nov 2 08:26:29 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Christopher Aillon <caillon <at> redhat.com> writes:
>> We made it clear from the start of the F8 cycle that we were going to be
>> doing the NM feature, and it was tracked in FESCo meetings.  So the fact
>> that KNM is non functioning should not be a reflection on anything other
>> than lack of people doing the work for KNM.
>
> So to sum up, "tough, we won't ever wait for KDE to support a new version
> before upgrading, even if the version we're upgrading to hasn't even been
> released yet". Yet if it had been us KDE SIG folks doing the upgrade, the GNOME
> frontend broken and the KDE one updated in time, I'm sure you would have forced
> us to revert the backend and complained loudly about us upgrading to an
> unstable version which breaks GNOME. But upgrading to an unstable version which
> breaks KDE is acceptable. :-/

I'm still waiting on the KDE guys to come through with fixing the Qt
Firefox port.  We allowed them to check in code to Mozilla upstream, and
  then they dropped it and haven't kept it up to date.  So we just CVS
removed it from CVS HEAD this past week.

It's not like we're asking for a rewrite of both the backend and the
frontend.  Just an applet (in Qt which I hear is so much easier to code
for than GTK+).  Bottom line is: nobody did the work, we have a way to
workaround it by forcing the GNOME applet, and this is the non-"default"
spin.