FutureFeature - Split KDE packages

axel @ieee.org axelinux at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 1 00:23:56 UTC 2007

Maybe a few days before the official release of Fedora 8 isn't the right time to discuss this matter but I'll give it a try.

I know that Fedora is a Gnome based distribution but I prefer using KDE instead. However one thing that I don't like about KDE is that it installs in your system many programs that you don't really need or want. Of course this happens because that's how KDE packages come from kde.org I believe e.g. kdemultimedia, kdenetwork

I think it would be a good idea to split those big packges into smaller/seperate ones. This way users will be able to install only the utilities they want. To understand better what I mean take a look at the following links from archlinux and gentoo.

http://kdemod.ath.cx/features.html
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml

One more thing is that KDE menus have the same programs in more than one categories. Not a very good way to organize your pc. There are a lot of entries that show up in the Administration, System, and Settings menus.

I don't know how difficult or easy would be to spli the kde packages but I believe it would be a good idea. Maybe this could be done if not for KDE3 for KDE4 which is a few months away.

What do you think?

Regards,
axel