F9 Feature Process

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 1 04:58:01 UTC 2007

John Poelstra wrote:

> To someone not familiar with Fedora wouldn't they expect
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/FeatureList and
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/ReleaseSummary to contain the
> same information or for there to only be one page? The ReleaseSummary
> page is really good by the way!

Feature list is more developer oriented. Release Summary is a subset of
the feature list highlighting major features and "themes". If there are
for example 3 user interface related features, 4 security related ones
and 2 performance related ones, we want to highlight them together in
the release summary.  The actual release announcement is sort of like a
easter language and is not easily translatable and we needed an
alternative that was closer to a press release. It is in fact the press
release writing attempt that was combined with the release notes
overview and morphed into the release summary for Fedora Core 5 and
since it turned out be fairly successful (a lot of users and reviews
referenced that), we continue doing it.

Rahul