Re: Package EVR problems in Fedora 2007-10-31

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 15:12:34 +0100
Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 freenet de> wrote:

The actual question behind this is: Are the EVRs of packages in
testing supposed to be updates < testing < rawhide?

I.e. are upgrades from testing to rawhide relevant?
IMHO yes.  Any package that could potentially go out for a release (if
it's in -testing, it could potentially go out) should have an nevra
that sorts lower than release+1.
IMHO no.
It renders the primary purpose of "testing" absurd: "testing" packages
for "updates" (testing == volatile, scratch, ... irrelevant)

What matters, is packages which are being pushed from "testing" to
"updates" containing appropriate EVRS at the very moment they are being
pushed.

If the package has a lower E-V-R when it is pushed into the testing repository, it won't show up as an update for those enabling updates-testing repository. We need to fix it while it is in the testing repository itself for testers to find out about *other issues* in the package.

Rahul