Severe X breakage heads up

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Tue Nov 6 18:04:09 UTC 2007

> On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 09:29 -0500, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>
> > One non trivial change for Fedora would be moving the kbd
> > config away from xorg.conf.  Both Gnome and KDE can already
> > override the server settings through XKB.  The various
> > display managers, I'm afraid, don't do anything by default.
> > Same with startx.
>
> This will change soon for gdm, I think. The gdm rewrite will make it
> possible to have a keyboard layout selector on the login screen, very
> similar to what you have inside the session. At least that is one of the
> goals.

Why is that functionality being added to a desktop manager? What exactly
is the definition for a desktop manager these days? I've always found
the name "desktop manager" to be a bit misleading. In my mind, I've
always thought of it as just a user login system (determining the user
for a session). Are desktop managers supposed to handle more than that?
--

Richi Plana