Severe X breakage heads up

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 18:19:57 UTC 2007

On 11/6/07, Richi Plana <myfedora at richip.dhs.org> wrote:
> Why is that functionality being added to a desktop manager? What exactly
> is the definition for a desktop manager these days? I've always found
> the name "desktop manager" to be a bit misleading. In my mind, I've
> always thought of it as just a user login system (determining the user
> for a session). Are desktop managers supposed to handle more than that?

rpm -qi gdm
Gdm (the GNOME Display Manager)

gdm makes it possible for you to login to the system. Let's avoid
trying to shoe-horn what that means into legacy concepts like
"desktop."

There are absolutely real situations where a computer will have
multi-lingual users. Wouldn't it be great if those  users could have
their native keyboard layout at the login screen for login names and
passwords.

-jef"Semantical games are my chosen blood sport"spaleta