Call for developers! It's Func! Systems management is fun again!

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 18:12:09 UTC 2007

Hey folks!

I sent this out to fedora-list, but this is really just as much a
developer topic.   Several us have been working on a neat network
application called Func lately, which is part of Fedora hosted projects ...

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/func

Func is basically a remote RPC system with integrated secure certificate
exchange, all massively pluggable in python.   It comes with a lot of
modules useful for control of remote systems, you can easily script
communications to multiple machines,  and easily write new modules on
both the client side and the server side.   Whether this means running
remote commands,  querying hardware inventory, or controlling a bunch of
robots or LED signs -- we really intend this to be a generic and crazy
simple thing to use.    The Wiki helps explain this in a lot of detail.

Func comes with some neat scripts that integrate with lots of Fedora
tools -- like Smolt (find all my laptops with exploding batteries),
Nagios (query lots of plugins remotely without even having to have
nagios installed), and so on.   There's  also a shiny inventory app that
tracks changes to all of your systems using git... written in /just/ 200
lines of Python.   Hopefully  that demonstrates how powerful the Func
API can be.

Anyhow, we'd really like all of you (especially Sysadmin, Python, or
network programming types) to get involved.   Also, if you are writing a
new Fedora app that needs remote communications capability, you can use
func to establish a PKI infrastructure.    It's already in Fedora and
EPEL alike.

Contribute new modules, hack on the core, or share some interesting
scripts you have to automate all of your Fedora and Enterprise Linux
machines.  If this sounds like something you are interested in, check
out the Wiki (https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/func), join the
mailing list, and stop by #func on irc.freenode.net -- your questions,
ideas, and of course code are always welcome!

--Michael