Re: When will be CVS replaced by modern version control system?

Tomas Janousek wrote:
Hello,

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 09:52:01PM +0200, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
 On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 07:38:41PM +0100, Till Maas wrote next:
"cvs diff" makes afaik a network connection, which makes it very slow compared to a modern vcs.
Modern vcs requires additional space for this operation.
And second, I doubt in usefull status of this feature. IMHO, in practice (another
words 'very often') you need to make diff between vcs' *.spec and current.
You just make copy *.spec to *.spec.orig and use simple diff command.

Well, in practice, I sometimes need a whole patchset from some old history of
the specfile. This is practically impossible with cvs, so I keep a git mirror
of the entire cvs directory, anyway.

If you run cvsweb (now viewvc) on the cvs repository it is easy to cherry-pick any file/revision you want or diff between any committed versions through the browser interface.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com