Re: When will CVS be replaced by modern version control system?

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:31:47 -0600
Josh Boyer <jwboyer gmail com> wrote:

> There are several people that are active developers for the packages
> they maintain.  They're used to working on the code base itself,
> developing patches, etc.  RPM specfiles are almost the last step in
> their day-to-day dealings with a package.  These are the people that
> are the major proponents of a DVCS.
>
> Then there are the packagers.  They mostly take the upstream tarballs,
> do the specfile work, and build things.  There isn't a lot of need for
> multiple commits, offline working, etc.  The entire VCS setup we
> currently use is geared toward packagers.

Which is mostly because it's for... packages.  Development should be
happening upstream or elsewhere.  I think that a lot of it is coming
from RHEL developers who are stuck with a package version for many
years and build up a lot of cruft around it in package VCS, yet in
Fedora we're free to move to newer upstream releases that fix problems
and such, and thus the build up around our packages should be minimal.

--
Jesse Keating