Re: When will CVS be replaced by modern version control system?

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:02:40 +0100
Matej Cepl <mcepl redhat com> wrote:

> I am not really sure, that it means that -- I am not saying "never
> ever use upstream tarball, ever." My idea would be that koji would
> get couple of backends and Source could be more creative. So instead
> of just "download tarball from this URL, unpack and work", it could
> understand alos URLs like git://, bzr://, hg:// (or something like
> that), meaning "clone/checkout/<whatever is the local name of getting
> the sources> from somewhere, and then build over that". And of
> course, one of these methods of getting sources would be downloading
> tarball.

And now your buildsystem is entirely reliant upon upstream locations
staying up, staying consistent, not being compromised, etc...
Definitely not something you want for Fedora, and certainly not
something we can even consider for RHEL.

--
Jesse Keating