/tftpboot vs. /var/tftp vs. something else?

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Nov 13 00:59:30 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 November 2007, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> TFTP is often used to store firmware images and configuration files
> for embedded devices, and as a place for such devices to write crash
> dumps, log files, etc.
>
> FHS 2.3 is silent on where to put files served up by TFTP.  Currently,
> we set the TFTP root to /tftpboot.  This seems suboptimal for a few
> reasons:
>
> 1. The root directory might be read-only on the TFTP server, so it
> isn't a good place to put the TFTP root.
90% of people use tftp-server to serve up data for network boots/install

> 2. The root directory might be too small to store lots of log files,
> huge crash dumps, etc.

If your doing something like this your smart enough to change the location to
an appropriate place that suits your needs

> 3. It really makes no sense to have a separate top-level directory for
> the TFTP service.  /tftpboot is a legacy location that should be
> reconsidered.
Its a common recognizable default

> 4. tftp"boot" doesn't fit all use cases.  It isn't used exclusively
> during booting of these devices.

I use tftp fortwo reasons  netbooting machines and saving switch/router
configs.  It is not often i do use it for saving  its generally read only/

> For many years, I've used /var/tftp as a location for storing TFTP
> data.  This mirrors the use of /var/ftp and /var/www.  I therefore
> suggest we change the default configuration in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp to
> reflect this.

a more appropriate place would be /srv/tftp

> At the very least, we should update the selinux-policy to allow
> /var/tftp as an alternate location.  Interestingly, it appears that
> the current policy allows in.tftpd to read var_t, since I haven't
file a bug :)