/tftpboot vs. /var/tftp vs. something else?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Nov 13 14:05:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 11:49:40AM +0100, Alexander Boström wrote:

> Btw, "lib/foo" is not about shared objects for foo, it's "here goes
> things belonging to foo", regardless of if it's /var/lib or /usr/lib.
> Don't be confused by "lib". Remember, this is Un*x, it's evolved, not
> logical. Do you think your genes are nicely commented and using pretty
> variable names? :)

It is a bit more complicated since /usr/share/foo and /usr/lib64/foo is
also for "things belonging to foo". I never made the hypothesis that
/var/lib is for shared libs, and in fact it is not. But if you read the
FHS, srv is clearly for tftpboot stuff:

/srv contains site-specific data which is served by this system.

while /var/lib is more for local databases (like nis, rpm, locate,
yum...). Though this may also be the best place for what is in /srv if
the convention is that the distribution does not touch /srv.

--
Pat