Re: autoloading of kernel modules in the udev area ?!

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Hans de Goede (j w r degoede hhs nl) said:
What are the modules that live behind that device?
The module / driver behind it us i2c-dev, which gives userspace access to one ore more i2c-busses. So the chain basically is: -userspace app (i2cdump for example) -> i2c-dev -> i2c master driver (i2c-i801
 for example).

Notice that under normal circumstances userspace access to the i2c busses is not used, its main use is as a debugging / development technique.

So, i2c-i801 is automatically loaded, but i2c-dev isn't?

Yes.

If it's not needed by default, I suppose the device node + kmod is one
way to do it

Ok, thats what I wanted to hear.

you could also build it statically if you really want
to.

Erm, that would be Dave J.'s call to make not mine, I'm looking for a solution which can be packaged here, not a local kludge.

Why wouldn't i2c-dev be part of i2c-core anyway?
I guess because its not needed be default?

Interesting this seems to be different from adding entries under /lib/udev/devices, as as said on my system after dev the loop module gets loaded, while I assume its not used during boot. Wouldn't it be better (faster, less memory use) for the loop-devices to sit under /lib/udev/devices, so that no module gets loaded?

I'm not seeing it getting loaded by default for me. Did you set up
a loop device?

I just did a reboot to confirm, it gets loaded by default on my machine. Pretty clean F-8 install. Done from an F-8 x86_64 livecd. Updates applied, some packages installed, no fancy changes really, shall I bugzilla it?

Regards,

Hans