/tftpboot vs. /var/tftp vs. something else?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Nov 14 22:52:50 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 08:34 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2007 6:35 AM, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 09:20:28PM -0700, Richi Plana wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 22:45 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:jA

> > /tftpboot is the historical tradition going back about thirty years. Why
> > break every script, every book and every third party management tool ?

> What would be the proper RFC process to go over such a change? As in
> say creating a /srv/fedora/ and start populating it with data or some
> such?

Don't take this personally, but that is absolutely the worst single idea
I have heard so far in this thread. So now we go from saying "ah, let's
move /tftpboot because it's the in thing to move stuff" to "hey! We can
make everything fedora-centric so sysadmins need to relearn everything".

Woooo! :-)

> Or say putting in a notice that we would like to move /tftpboot
> to something else and please give us feedback on how we can accomplish
> this with the least amount of pain, and then putting it to a proper
> engineering group to vote on it?

I vote for just not moving it. It's been around many times the lifetime
of FHS and other "standards", that themselves were based upon what
existed at their inception. If anything these "standards" should be
updated with occasional exceptions, based upon years of reality.

Yeah, I know, this is a very conservative attitude for a change. I guess
we could just throw out the Linux kernel because it's also based on "30
year old technology", but it seems to work well for most of us.

Jon.