Improving halt package interaction...

Adam Kropelin akropel1 at rochester.rr.com
Wed Nov 14 23:33:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 10:13:47PM -0300, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> I'd like to bring up a suggestion that would make it easier for
> packagers to modify the halt process, without resorting to changing
> files owned by other packages.
>
> [...]
>
> What do you guys think about this?

I'd be happy to use this feature in Apcupsd. At the moment the best
option we have is to 'sed' our own scripty bits into the system halt
scripts, which is a very impolite thing for a package to do. (As a
result, some of our RPMs require the user to manually insert the
shutdown code, which in addition to being an annoyance, tends to cause
users to simply skip that step.)

If we had a directory into which our packages could drop a prioritized
script to be run after mountpoints are made r/o, I believe we'd be able
to completely meet the expectations of our users and be a well-behaved
package at the same time.

--Adam