F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 18:42:40 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 19:32 +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 07:50:54AM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Nov 15, 2007 7:01 AM, Olivier Galibert <galibert at pobox.com> wrote:
> > > - once you rpm -e --nodeps it, you find out that the "network" service
> > >   is not on by default either (liveCD install)
> >
> > Perhaps we need to either make it even more clear what the usage case
> > for the desktop livecd actually is.  I thought it was clear.  Or
> > perhaps there is a compelling need for a server livecd that uses the
> > legacy network stack by default.
>
> Well, I would never have guessed that static IPs required specific
> massaging and legacy network support.  Especially since it's a very
> visible option of the installer in a mandatory dialog window.
>
> At least if a message was added saying "any changes to this network
> dialog will be ignored", you could get some free advertising on the
> Daily WTF.

The problem is that we were supposed to have the magical new world of
NetworkManager goodness (and thus, consistency in network setup between
the live images and the rest of the distro) and when we had to freeze
strings for translations, it wasn't clear that we weren't going to get
there :(

For Fedora 9, we're shooting for having those bits again, but if we
don't have them well in advance of the translation freeze, we'll do
_something_ to make this experience better in the installer.  Because I
fully agree that it sucks :/

Jeremy