F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 00:15:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 16:22 -0700, Richi Plana wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 14:40 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > You don't have to use libnm-glib at all; it's pretty simple to use
> > straight D-Bus to do what needs to be done.
>
> So what's libnm-glib? A library of convenience functions that allows one
> to use NM via D-Bus? If so, does it depend on the rest of
> NetworkManager? Perhaps that library can be separated and made a
> dependency of pidgin.
>
> If the scenario I painted above is correct, then it would make sense for
> people to use those convenience functions to avoid having to rewrite the
> same code over and over again (assuming the functions themselves are a
> certain order of magnitude simpler than the functions they wrap). It
> might add to the complexity of packaging but simplify programming.
> Getting into the realm of no right and wrong ... just which one will
> prove the smart choice further into the future.

libnm_glib is contained in NetworkManager-glib. Unfortunately, the -glib
package seems to pull in the main NetworkManager package by way of the
libnm-util.so dependency.

I also notice that libnm-util.so is contained in both NetworkManager and
NetworkManager-devel.

Maybe we need to split libnm-util.so off into a NetworkManager-libs
package ?