F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Kelly Miller lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 08:17:21 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> I think there very well maybe a valid usage case here for a legacy
> network stack using live image as a useful install target for static
> ip networks. But its almost too late for a discussion about it to
> matter much since NM should have static ip support by F9 and be the
> default stack for all installable images.. whether live or not.
>
> -jef

I hope by then all the kinks have been worked out.  I STILL can't use NM
to do networking, due to various problematic bugs in it.  Even when it
was working, I still had to start up the legacy networking system first,
due to a pretty serious cyclical dependency; NetworkManager depends on
DBus, which depends on being able to get userids.  If you're using an
LDAP server, though... the result is NetworkManager needs DBus, which
needs LDAP, which needs NetworkManager.  The result?  The system freezes
at the first service in the cycle.