Re: Static DHCP

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Alexander Boström wrote:
It's usually a good idea to have a central registry of which computer
has which IP addresses, with MAC address info. Once you have that it's
easy to also generate a dhcpd.conf from that info to assign static IP:s.

And heck, dnsmasq is even easier to set up for that. You can just populate /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers (as per their specifications), and dnsmasq will use that for static DHCP assignments. I.e.:

/etc/hosts
192.168.1.5	blue
192.168.1.6	green
192.168.1.7	red
192.168.1.8	brown

/etc/ethers
00:11:22:00:00:aa	blue
00:11:22:00:00:bb	green
00:11:22:00:00:cc	red
00:11:22:00:00:dd	brown

Make sure "read-ethers" is uncommented in dnsmasq.conf, and you're set. (Okay, there are a couple other configuration changes required before dnsmasq will DTRT, but that's true of ISC's dhcpd, too.)
 I even have a script that takes a file with the format:

mac	ip	hostname

 and spits out the appropriate /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers. :-)

FWIW, I manage ~20 networks with static DHCP, many of which have machines roaming to and fro.

     Jima

(fedora dnsmasq maintainer and advocate)