F8, b43 and radio button for BCM4318

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 15:48:29 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 08:56:46PM -0500, eah wrote:

> I have the BCM4318 wlan0. b43 driver picks it up after following instructions
> using  broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2. It does not active the card's radio (my
> little blue light stays dark to say it like an end user) . dmesg
> reports "ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready"

To answer your later question, this is the right firmware.  I am
presuming that you extracted the firmware already.

> What do I need to do to get that working?
>
> This is the farthest I've ever gotten using the stock driver, so kudos to all
> involved in that.

Are these your only indications?  Did you actually try to activate
the card using NetworkManager, wpa_supplicant, or iwconfig?

Regarding the "little blue light", did you try pushing the RF kill
button?  Sometimes they are a software-controlled toggle rather than
an actual physical switch.  (Note: don't bother with this without
trying NetworkManger, et al. first...)

John
--
John W. Linville