Re: Push packages from diverse maintainers

Linus Walleij wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

So how do we *best* coordinate this?

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/bodhi/ticket/79

Yeah OK, so blocking updates which breaks deps is a good idea. But will this cause a catch 22-situation where I cannot push libmtp because if I do, I break Amarok, and I cannot push Amarok too, because it is maintained by Aurelien and I'm not allowed to push that.

This leads to a situation where a maintainer of a lib has to co-maintain every package that is dependent on that lib, in order to be able to push updates properly.

So to make things perfect, maintainers of packages that other packages depend on should have their status escalated so that they can build and push all dependent packages if need be. OR (and this may be easier) have a mechanism to notify som dependency-engineer with access to everything to do builds and pushes for her/him.

Or, do not do soname / ABI breaking updates in a stable release?

Regards,

Hans