Re: [Fwd: Font issues (mkfontdir & friends not getting run) with F-8]

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 22:59 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
Forwarding to the right list (not that the two example package follow
the provisional guidelines on the fontconfig front, and I don't care
much about the core font side myself)

-------- Message transféré --------
De: Hans de Goede <j w r degoede hhs nl>

Hi

On both my F-8 x86_64 live-dvd installation and my (clean) F-8 i386 install dvd installation, not all scriptlets for font-packages have properly run.

Taking /etc/X11/fontpath.d/fonts-default (urw-fonts) as example:
-On the x86_64 live dvd install, only fonts.scale is present, iow
  mkfontdir and fc-cache have not been run, even though they are in the
  scripts:
[hans localhost ~]$ rpm -q --scripts urw-fonts
urw-fonts-2.4-1.fc8.noarch
postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
{
    umask 133
    mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1 || :
    `which mkfontdir` /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1 || :
    fc-cache /usr/share/fonts
} &> /dev/null || :

-On the i386 dvd install, nothing was run, so not only mkfontdir and
  fc-cache were not run, but also mkfontscale has not been run

The strange thing is fontconfig is actually required, so atleast the fc-cache file should have been created.

Fontconfig doesn't store cache files in the directory anymore.  They go
in /var/cache/fontconfig.  That's been the case for a while.

Ah, then the packages also should no longer ghost fc-cache in the fonts dir.

As for the other two not being created, well that is to be expected if the necessary packages are not added to any Requires.

Why are these files generated on install anyways, I understand this used to be usefull back in the days when multiple packages would install files under one dir, but isn't it so that most font dirs now only contain fonts from one package?

I don't understand.  When are you suggesting they should be generated?

At package buildtime, and then simply include them in the package instead of %ghost them and generate them with scriptlets.

Regards,

Hans