Time skew of packaged files

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 12:44:10 UTC 2007

On 18/11/2007, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> > See how the byte compiled file, which should be newer, has an older
> > mtime than the uncompiled file? This is causing Emacs to ignore the
> > byte compiled files.
>
> Is the spec file including the compiled file before the uncompiled file?

Hm. By "including", do you mean "appearing in a %files section"? If
so, then yes, in the spec file the %files section for emacs-vm appears
above that for emacs-vm-el. But if this is what determines the file
mtimes, I think that's misguided (and undocumented afaik)  behaviour.

> Copying the files to temp during the build may be whats causing that time issue.

Perhaps so. Naively, what I would've expected to happen is that, for
any package and subpackages, all the file mtimes are set to be the
same.

J.