Fedora Orphaned Package Removal: November 29th 2007

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Nov 20 09:02:11 UTC 2007

Warren Togami wrote:
> Fedora Engineering Steering Committee is considering removal of packages
> from rawhide who have been without owners since prior to Fedora 8
> sometime after the next FESCO meeting on November 29th.  The Fedora
> Project routinely removes unmaintained packages from future
> distributions in order to responsibly scale the growth of maintenance
> burden with developer resources available within the project.
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~wtogami/temp/rawhide-removals.txt
> Packages listed on this page are scheduled for removal unless an
> existing Fedora maintainer claims ownership.
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~wtogami/temp/rawhide-removals.txt
> A Fedora package developer may use their Fedora Account in PackageDB to
> claim ownership of an orphaned package.
>
> Removal of an orphaned package entails "blocking" it in the buildsystem
> so it does not appear in the rawhide repository, and files in CVS of the
> "devel" branch being replaced with an empty "dead.package" file.  At a
> later date if a Fedora package developer wishes to revive a dead package
> they may do so by claiming ownership in pkgdb then requesting the koji
> block to be removed.  It is however a bit easier if ownership is claimed
> prior to orphan removal, so please claim packages now if possible.

Hmm,

I see openct, opencs and pcsc-tools listed, didn't we go through a lot
of effort during FC-6 / F-7 to get smartcard support integrated, isn't
this need to support certain cards / features then?

I'm planning to start working with smartcards sometime soon, and I think
I will need these, but I'm not sure.

Regards,

Hans