NetworkManager - Why Doesn't nm-applet have a way of using WPA-PSK?

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 12:33:20 UTC 2007

On 20/11/2007, Kelly Miller <lightsolphoenix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew Farris wrote:
> > Was your access point configured to only allow this option?  Sounds like the OP
> > is wanting to FORCE the use of WPA-PSK (i.e. access point will allow it), not
> > just have NM make the choice automatically.  The access point may be setup to
> > allow several security options.
> >
> Yes, I have to force it, because up until today the system was using
> WEP.  However, I found out through experimentation that my wireless
> network was acting horribly flaky, and I managed to track it to the WEP
> key itself (when I removed the security, everything worked fine).  So I
> switched the access point to use WPA-PSK, as a better option than
> leaving it wide open.  But NetworkManager was still insisting it used
> WEP, so I was trying to force it to switch.  nm-applet allows manually
> selecting WEP and a few other options, but not WPA-PSK with a specific
> encryption cipher.

I did exactly what you did too - i.e. switched an AP from WEP to
WPA-PSK. Because NM had previously associated with the AP with WEP, it
considers the AP with WPA-PSK as a different AP, and so there is a
second entry in the list of wireless networks corresponding to the
same AP. I guess there is no logic in NM currently to cope with an AP
changing security settings.