WTF? Inaccessible bug reports?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 15:55:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 10:37 -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > So I'm trying to find out why David Cantrell decided to make my life
> > hell on 2007-09-04 by disabling any possibility of static ip when
> > using kickstart and the changelog refers to bug #260621 which I'm
> > somehow not allowed to see.
>
> Nobody decided to make your life hell.  Software is complicated,
> especially the loader, and fixes sometimes have unintended side
> effects.
>
> The bug in question fixed a problem where anaconda would stop at the
> network configuration screen regardless of what command line arguments
> are specified.

Also, it was returning to the behavior which has always been present.

If you're getting your kickstart config over the network (ks=http or
whatnot) and not specifying the IP to use on the command line, DHCP is
used.  This has been the documented behavior since the beginning of
time[1].  If you want a static IP, you have to specify it on the command
line.  That said, I could see an argument for having ip=ask or the like
to be prompted for the information even though it'll make that code even
more painful than it already is.

Jeremy

[1] At least, as long as I can remember.  And since I remember adding
the support for specifying static IPs with kickstart ... :-)