libglade2 Problem: Can't Find Symbols

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Nov 23 07:39:33 UTC 2007

> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> writes:
> > On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 22:03 -0800, Peter Gordon wrote:
> >> Incorrect. Invoking autotools modifies the package's build scripts, not
> >> source code. There is a significant difference.
>
> > With all due respect, you could not be much wronger.
>
> > auto* generated files are not supposed to be dynamically modified nor
> > are they designed to be dynamically modified.
> > That's the reason why they are part of source tarballs.
>
> No, the reason why they are part of source tarballs is that
> traditionally tarball-makers haven't wanted to assume that users will
> have autotools installed.

Right, that's one aspect. It's one aspect why they are treated as
generated SOURCES.

> > From a practical aspect:
> > Running incompatibles version of the  autotools during builds can break
> > a package.
>
> Certainly true.  On the other hand, *not* rebuilding the scripts can
> also break a package, particularly with respect to libtool, IME.
Libtool is a special case, because RH ships a hacked libtool to work
around an issue (multilibs) upstream so far has not been able to fix.

> It's a case-by-case issue, and so I see any sort of generalized
> opinionating about it as fundamentally misguided.
Wrong. Read the Fine Manual, read the GNU Coding Standards.

>  I do a forced
> automake/libtoolize/autoconf for some of my packages, and not others.
Your mistake. You are unnecessarily imposing risks to your packages.

Ralf