RFC: changing versioning of fedora-release in rawhide

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Fri Nov 23 12:43:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 05:28:40PM -0600, Michael E Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:14:55PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Jeremy Katz (katzj at redhat.com) said:
> > > Realistically, you probably want the simple stupid plugin to allow you
> > > to set the release version if you go this route.  But at the same time,
> > > I don't think that the route of switching streams often is really a case
> > > that you optimize for.
> >
> > Moreover, if you do the $releasever redirect hack, someone who has
> > updates/updates-testing either gets errors or the same repo three times.
>
> Actually, I dont understand why we dont have a "repo=stable", and
> "repo=rawhide". Mirrormanager can be trivially extended to let you flip
> 'stable' repo to the next release a predefined amount of time after that
> release.
>
> Then people who always want latest stable will automatically be upgraded
> to the next ver when it comes out, while people who want to stay on a specific
> release can say "repo=fedora-$releasever"

MM can already do this, however, the reason the YUM Upgrade SIG exists
is because upgrading from one stable release to the next automatially
isn't a trivial operation yet.  Let's give them a chance to develop a
painless automatic upgrade experience and we can enable this
functionality at that time.

> For rawhide, make releasever=9 and have mirrormanager redirect it to
> rawhide.
>
> So, we have (defaults):
>
> rpm name: fedora-release-9-1.prerelease.noarch.rpm
> fedora.repo:              repo=stable, enabled=0
> fedora-development.repo:  repo=rawhide, enabled=1
>
> rpm name: fedora-release-9-1.noarch.rpm
> fedora.repo:              repo=stable, enabled=1
> fedora-development.repo:  repo=rawhide, enabled=0
>
> People who want to track rawhide use --enablerepo. People who want to
> lock down to a specific release can s/stable/fedora-$releasever/.
>
> Or, alternatively, lock it down to a specific release by default, but
> let people change it to 'stable' if they want.

This is what I would expect.

Thanks,
Matt

--