Should "yum install" be case sensitive?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 27 16:51:04 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>

>>> Kind of late in the game to ask for that without providing a means to
>>> keep working as the change is implemented by each packager
>>> separately, isn't it?  The existing dependencies aren't going to all
>>> be fixed on the same day.
>>
>> The method was already provided earlier in this thread. Just add a
>> additional provides with all lowercase in between the transition period.
>
> And the advantage of distributing all this work and making it be done in
> a certain order over just forcing case insensitivity would be?

Forcing case insensitivity in what? The packages or yum? Seth Vidal
already explained his view point that case insensitivity should be
decided as policy within Fedora packaging guidelines and I have given
you one example of how to transition over if that decision is made since
you asked whether it is too late to do so.

Rahul