Re: alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Adam Tkac wrote:
On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 07:57:18AM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
Adam Tkac wrote:
I've put this software to F8 because it has nice new features. Some
bugs is tax for them.
9.5 will come into beta stage very soon.
These two are quite valid reasons that you as maintainer are the person best qualified to make a decision about. Thank you for providing them!

I don't think that users use newest
Fedora on important servers
This one, however, is not a reason to use in making these decisions. People may want to use the newest Fedora on their important servers and if so, we want them to be able to. This is something we should strive for consciously even if subconsciously we decide to let another feature slip in ;-)

Generally you have to choose between stability and features. And I've
chosen features in this case...

Excellent. As stated before, you, the maintainer are best qualified to judge how stable this release is and whether the perception of it being an "alpha release" or the new features it brings are more important. Your testing of the new version and not getting any significant bug reports before F8 release are valid reasons to believe the package is stable enough for Fedora.

I just want to stress that we're working hard to keep people from thinking of Fedora as "a beta release of RHEL". As part of that "I don't think that users use newest Fedora on important servers" is *not* a reason we want to promote for making decisions on whether a particular upstream version is stable enough to go into a Fedora release.

Thank you for understanding the subtle distinction here,
-Toshio