mounting removable media never seems to work

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Tue Nov 27 18:56:20 UTC 2007

Florin Andrei wrote:
> Mounting USB sticks, DVDs, CDs, etc - this works flawlessly with other
> distributions I've tried (Ubuntu), but with Fedora it's something that
> seems to stop working randomly, whenever the packages update to jour
> changes something in the system.
>
> I've a F7 system, fully updated, and now when I insert a USB stick, I
> get the HAL error "permission denied: not in active session".

This used to happen to me on F7, around the arrival of ConsoleKit. I
traced it down to ConsoleKit dying everytime I logged in and a check
with the init script would say "pid file exists but subsystem dead" or
words to that effect. It could be a similar situation in your case or
perhaps you don't even have ConsoleKit running. I never managed to track
down why ConsoleKit was dying, despite enabling debugging everywhere
that I thought was useful. The machine has since been flattened an F8
installed and thankfully the problem hasn't returned.

--
Ian Chapman.